How to Travel for Cheap
Be Flexible! This is the key to booking great deals. I travel to different countries at a cheap price because I keep my options open. Keeping your dates flexible is also important, but even if they aren’t you can still find a great flight deal if you aren’t set on a certain destination.
Deals are posted almost daily from large airports (Washington, DC has 3 options so I come across plenty of deals). Maybe I never considered visiting Sweden anytime soon, but if a fare is less than $400 RT then how can I pass it up?! I’ll more than likely end up loving it and even if it ends up not being the best trip ever, at least I can say that I’ve been and explored a new area. Don’t knock it til you try it.
- Book a hostel during solo trips for a cheap stay and to meet new people
- Hostelworld is a great resource
- HotelTonight app – hotels offer discounted rates if booked at last minute in order to fill up space
- Priceline’s “Name your own price tool” – this option is perfect if you’re traveling with just one other person and don’t mind sharing a bed
- Always search for hotels right outside of the city center – if the area is safe and near public transportation, it may be a great way to save money!
- Always search for flights while incognito (InPrivate browsing)
- Clear your cookies/history/etc.
- Do not wait last minute to book a flight! If you see a low price – purchase right away because chances are they’ll go up instead of down
- A good time frame to book is 3-4 months prior to departure date
- For holiday travels, start searching even sooner
- Don’t hesitate!!! If I see a deal, I snag it right away. Don’t second guess yourself. Just do it – odds are you won’t regret it.
- Remember that most airlines offer a 24 hour cancellation – so if you see a deal, but you’re not 100% certain you can go…just book it and cancel within 24 hours if you change your mind
- Get a rewards credit card!
- Chase Preferred Sapphire is my personal favorite
- Airline credit cards
- Hotel credit cards
- Take advantage of initial bonus
- Ask locals for their recommendations
- Go off the beaten path and avoid tourist traps
- Stay in an Airbnb or hotel with a kitchen in order to purchase groceries and cook
Sites to Follow/Use
- Google Flights
- ITA Matrix Software
- Note: Skyscanner and Momondo shows flight prices from other 3rd party websites: Always research these sites to find out how reliable they are. Don’t get scammed!
Apps to Download
- Hotel Tonight